yo fuck anyone who doesn’t want you in their life and fuck anyone who treats you bad and fuck anyone who breaks your heart because they’re all fuckin losers and they’re definitely not worth your time because your time is precious and the only people who deserve it are people who treat you right and are nice and don’t lie to you and buy you ice cream.
So carstairsangel asked me why I liked The Great Gatsby so much, and I thought, if I’m going to commit to a reply, i’m going to commit whole-heartedly and do my favorite novel some justice, so here is why I love it so much, hopefully you might get an understanding after my thoughts. (:
The Great Gatsby is soaked with spectacle and kinetic emotion, dreamily miraculous, and saturated with characters longing for the unattainable. Gatsby has created an identity based on who he wishes he was, in an attempt to eradicate everything that he is. It is in the attainment of his lost love that he believes he can find peace - that if that indefinable, elusive item could somehow be reacquired, everything would be perfect again. (Can’t repeat the past? …Why, of course you can!), Gatsby is a period piece but is universal and immortal in its rumination of themes, virtues, sin, principle and ideology. There is no peace to be had. Because Daisy, like the false-version of himself that he presents to the world; like the green light that haunts him off-shore across West Egg bay, is nothing more than a self-created illusion. A portrait of an impossible moment in time. Gatsby is a contradiction of a character (a character in a character) and there is no other like him in all of literature. Aching, naïve obstinate optimism, in a grown-up shell. He has a false and fractured vision of himself, caught in a grasping adolescent understanding of love and life he is destined to capture a trustingly innocent and ultimately false end, and yet Gatsby is stunning, and the novel is made from the stuff of wonder. Each line is drenched and inundated in lyrical poetry, with a narrator that assures you he never judges, and is the only honest man he knows, while continually lying to you, and judging – and pre-judging, and second-guessing everyone. None of the characters are likeable, and in this way Fitzgerald challenges convention and condemns vapid recklessness, greedy vanity and all shallow interaction with protagonists that are aggressively careless and terrible to each-other. We enjoy everything the characters are not. Like the mythic American dream, it offers an irresistible lure, begging us to return to it’s machinations and refusing to release us from the spell of it’s illusion no matter how flawed. Gatsby gives and gives his entire life, never participating in his legendary parties or drinking his star-besprinkled champagne or mingling with his guests, (he is within and without, a part of, but apart of) and never even enjoys his empire of excess and melioration, or uses any of his mansion’s amenities, (he is swept with marvel at the sight of it all, as if for the first time when Daisy visits his house, revaluing his possessions worth in accordance to the response it elicits from her well-loved eyes,) It is all for her. And yet the one time Gatsby does ask for something, he wants too much, and ultimately that imperfection is what leads to his failing. It is his vice, every man’s vice, and history has judged that as the novel’s brilliance. When Gatsby dies, all his friends die with him – he has nothing left to give, and so they have nothing left to take. It is not a fast-paced book to be burned through in a summer day, it is not a particularly humorous book, nor is it ever crass or brusque. But it is intelligent and dripping with charm, relentlessly captivating, compelling, enchanting, and magnetic; for those that read carefully. It is beautiful without ever being cruel. It is timeless; a well-worn fairy-tale for the adult world. About a scared little boy dressed up in a tough guy suit, and about the lengths a man will go to achieve his dreams, to the destruction of all else.
And by the end, Gatsby finally gets to use his pool.
(P.S When you find out his real name is James Gatz. aka Jimmy G. I stared down at the page for a couple seconds going whatttttt theeeeee fuckkkkkkk)
Anonymous asked: 34, 52, 77
34. Listening to?
The xx - Heart Skipped a Beat
52. Do you think musicals are cheesy?
I think they’re EXTREMELY cheesy up until the EXACT moment you force me to sit down and watch one, and then I will usually end up enjoying it. But shut up that’s just our secret. Les Mis was good.
77. Ever been in love?
Not fully, not entirely, not without restraint.
Anonymous asked: 6, 20, 37, aaaaand 71, 74, 85
6. What are you excited for?
All the miraculous people I haven’t met yet.
20. Are you starting to realize anything?
No one walks out of your life forever. No-one. If you try to cut connections, people hold on. That’s wonderful and I didn’t know that.
37. Do you believe in love at first sight?
I believe in like at first sight.
71 has been answered!
74. What is your favorite book?
The Great Gatsby probably. It’s just perfection. Anyone that says it’s boring doesn’t understand it
85. Are you patient?
I can’t even wait for my two minute noodles
Anonymous asked: 1, 3, 11, 16, 26, 71, 95
1. Would you have sex with the last person you text messaged?
I probably would, yeah.
3. Have you taken someones virginity?
11. How many people of the opposite sex do you fully trust?
I thought really hard about this one, and I came up with two.
16. Do you think you’ll change in the next 3 months?
I change every day.
26. Is your current hair color your natural hair color?
Nah, It’s actually closer to brunette at the moment.
71. Can you curl your tongue?
Can do all the tricks with the tongue
95. Favourite food?
- 1. Would you have sex with the last person you text messaged?
- 2. You talked to an ex today, correct?
- 3. Have you taken someones virginity?
- 4. Is trust a big issue for you?
- 5. Did you hang out with the person you like recently?
- 6. What are you excited for?
- 7. What happened tonight?
- 8. Do you think it’s disgusting when girls get really wasted?
- 9. Is confidence cute?
- 10. What is the last beverage you had?
- 11. How many people of the opposite sex do you fully trust?
- 12. Do you own a pair of skinny jeans?
- 13. What are you gonna do Saturday night?
- 14. What are you going to spend money on next?
- 15. Are you going out with the last person you kissed?
- 16. Do you think you’ll change in the next 3 months?
- 17. Who do you feel most comfortable talking to about anything?
- 18. The last time you felt broken?
- 19. Have you had sex today?
- 20. Are you starting to realize anything?
- 21. Are you in a good mood?
- 22. Would you ever want to swim with sharks?
- 23. Are your eyes the same color as your dad’s?
- 24. What do you want right this second?
- 25. What would you say if the person you love/like kissed another girl/boy?
- 26. Is your current hair color your natural hair color?
- 27. Would you be able to date someone who doesn’t make you laugh?
- 28. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
- 29. Do you really, truly miss someone right now?
- 30. Does everyone deserve a second chance?
- 31. Honestly, do you hate the last boy you were talking to?
- 32. Does the person you have feelings for right now, know you do?
- 33. Are you one of those people who never drinks soda?
- 34. Listening to?
- 35. Do you ever write in pencil anymore?
- 36. Do you know where the last person you kissed is?
- 37. Do you believe in love at first sight?
- 38. Who did you last call?
- 39. Who was the last person you danced with?
- 40. Why did you kiss the last person you kissed?
- 41. When was the last time you ate a cupcake?
- 42. Did you hug/kiss one of your parents today?
- 43. Ever embarrass yourself in front of a crush?
- 44. Do you tan in the nude?
- 45. If you could, would you take back your last kiss?
- 46. Did you talk to someone until you fell asleep last night?
- 47. Who was the last person to call you?
- 48. Do you sing in the shower?
- 49. Do you dance in the car?
- 50. Ever used a bow and arrow?
- 51. Last time you got a portrait taken by a photographer?
- 52. Do you think musicals are cheesy?
- 53. Is Christmas stressful?
- 54. Ever eat a pierogi?
- 55. Favorite type of fruit pie?
- 56. Occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid?
- 57. Do you believe in ghosts?
- 58. Ever have a Deja-vu feeling?
- 59. Take a vitamin daily?
- 60. Wear slippers?
- 61. Wear a bath robe?
- 62. What do you wear to bed?
- 63. First concert?
- 64. Wal-Mart, Target or Kmart?
- 65. Nike or Adidas?
- 66. Cheetos Or Fritos?
- 67. Peanuts or Sunflower seeds?
- 68. Favorite Taylor Swift song?
- 69. Ever take dance lessons?
- 70. Is there a profession you picture your future spouse doing?
- 71. Can you curl your tongue?
- 72. Ever won a spelling bee?
- 73. Have you ever cried because you were so happy?
- 74. What is your favorite book?
- 75. Do you study better with or without music?
- 76. Regularly burn incense?
- 77. Ever been in love?
- 78. Who would you like to see in concert?
- 79. What was the last concert you saw?
- 80. Hot tea or cold tea?
- 81. Tea or coffee?
- 82. Favorite type of cookie?
- 83. Can you swim well?
- 84. Can you hold your breath without holding your nose?
- 85. Are you patient?
- 86. DJ or band, at a wedding?
- 87. Ever won a contest?
- 88. Ever have plastic surgery?
- 89. Which are better black or green olives?
- 90. Opinions on sex before marriage?
- 91. Best room for a fireplace?
- 92. Do you want to get married?
- 93. Are you a virgin?
- 94. When was the last time you had sex?
- 95. Favourite food?
- PLEASE SOMEONE ASK ME!
I just want a mindblowingly destructive, all-consuming, rampagingly disobient, radically unstable, ecstatically gratifying, half part pain, half part pleasure, gasping-for-air room-breaking relationship.
Is that too much to ask for?